We are now looking for a time-served Tool Maker to join our in-house tool room team!
We are offering a competitive salary, 25 days holiday + bank holidays, company bonus scheme, childcare vouchers and up to 3% matched pension contribution.
If you think you have got what it takes please send your CV to Anna.Green@aki.co.uk with a covering letter to apply.
Sorry, but we aren't accepting speculative CV's from agencies for this role.
Reporting to the Tool Room Manager the Toolmaker will be required to work a fixed Day shift within a precision technical injection moulding environment. The Toolmaker will be working hands on, in a small team involved in tool design and manufacture for existing product tools as well as new designs. The successful Toolmaker will be expected to work with minimal supervision on all manner of tool room machinery.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Responsible for the maintenance, repair and modification of injection mould tools, enabling production to meet customer demands and targets.
Operating Grinding Machines, Centre Lathes, CNC and manual Milling and Turning Machines and other relevant tool room machinery, including CAD/CAM operation and fitting work as the business demands.
Able to communicate effectively with customers to discuss tooling and other engineering issues.
Liaise with our external tooling partner where necessary to manage new tooling, modifications and repairs effectively and to the business and customers timeframes.
To be a member of cost reduction tooling and process teams, efficiency improvements and to improve quality and accuracy both for tools and moulded components.
Produce components from engineering drawings.
Carry out repairs on existing tools as well as modifying injection moulding tools as required by business or customer request.
To ensure that the repair and maintenance of injection mould production tools is carried out in line with production requirement in the allocated time frame.
To produce new tools, moulds and hot plate welding jigs in line with project and business objectives.
To test and confirm electrical and hydraulic/pneumatic operation of tools before return to production.
To record all relevant data pertaining to tooling and record onto the Toolroom database.
To be proactive in making tooling modifications to improve scrap cycle time and tool reliability.
To ensure that housekeeping within the area is maintained in a satisfactory condition.
To ensure a safe working environment exists for self and colleagues in line with the Company Health & Safety processes and procedures.
Manage the Tooling processes in line with ISO900 and ISO13485.
Any other duties as requested by management.
Skills & Experience:
- Apprentice-served Toolmaker, or with at least 5 years previous experience of making, amending, and maintaining injection moulding mould tools, jigs and fixtures.
- Accuracy, efficiency, adaptability and attention to detail.
- Proven experience in setting and operating tool making machines (lathes, mills, grinders, spark eroder).
- Excellent time management and communication skills, able to converse verbally and in writing over email to external stakeholders, including customers.
- Proven experience in plastics injection toolmaking.
- Experience of injection mould production from concept through design.
- Computer literate with ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- CNC experience
- TIG welding skills and certification
- Demonstrate excellent bench ‘hand skills’ i.e. filing and forming
- Comprehensive understanding of 2D tooling drawings and 3D CAD models
- Experience of problem solving complex tooling processing issues, and finding resolutions.
- An understanding of working to ISO 9001 and 13485
- Competent reach truck driver
- Comprehensive knowledge of ‘Hot runner systems’
- Capable of polishing to 3 micron mirror finish
- Experience of ERP systems